Side Ad 1
Marion Times Header
Marion Fire responds to apartment complex fire
by Staff Report · November 9th, 2017

Residents of an apartment complex awoke to their fire alarms on Sunday, November 5, at 6:02 a.m. due to a fire in one of the apartments. According to the Marion Fire Department, firefighters were dispatched and responded to the three-story apartment complex fire located at 121 Southview Drive, Marion, within four minutes and immediately assisted one fire victim from the second floor.

Another victim was rescued from a third story window with the help of the Cedar Rapids Fire Department and assistance from Marion Fire crews inside the building. Both victims were transported to local hospitals for treatment.

According to the Marion Fire Department, the fire originated from a stovetop and was under control in about 30 minutes. In the report, no firefighters were injured and 10 apartment units were evacuated. From the 10 apartments, 11 residents were displaced from the complex and The Red Cross was able to assist the residents. Some people were alerted by working smoke detectors. The Marion Fire Department would like to remind residents to check their smoke detectors monthly and replace batteries annually.

Marion Fire Chief Deb Krebill stated the fire caused a loss of $90,000. As for the victims from the fire, "Both were tested and treated for smoke inhalation and released on Sunday."
Contact the Marion Times
808 6th St. Suite 1
Marion, Iowa 52302
P: (319) 377-7037
F: (319) 377-9535 | Marion Times | The Only Newspaper Serving Marion First
News | Sports | Opinions | Obituaries | Robins | Hiawatha | Archives | Business Directory | City News
Like the Marion Times on Facebook
Web Development by Brian McMillin, LLC
News Sports Opinions Obituaries Archives Business Directory City News Marion Times